The Nuclear Energy Institute was founded in 1994 from the merger of several nuclear energy industry organizations, the oldest of which was created in 1953.
The 1994 merger included:
Nuclear Utility Management and Resources Council (NUMARC), which addressed generic regulatory and technical issues
U.S. Council for Energy Awareness (USCEA), which conducted a national communications program
American Nuclear Energy Council (ANEC), which handled governmental affairs
the nuclear division of the Edison Electric Institute, which handled issues involving used nuclear fuel management, nuclear fuel supply and the economics of nuclear energy.
60 Years' Service to the Nuclear Industry
In 1953, the nuclear industry created the Atomic Industrial Forum (AIF) to focus on the beneficial uses of nuclear energy. This was two years before the international “Atoms for Peace” conference held in Geneva in 1955, marking the dawn of the nuclear age.
In 1987, the industry divided AIF to create NUMARC and USCEA. USCEA originated in 1979 as the U.S. Committee for Energy Awareness.
As the direct successor to AIF, the Nuclear Energy Institute represents 60 years' service to the nuclear technologies industry.
Watch the video below to learn about NEI's storied history and bright future.