The Nuclear Energy Institute has elected W. Gary Gates, president and chief executive officer of the Omaha Public Power District, as chairman of its board of directors. Gates succeeds John W. Rowe, chairman, president and CEO of Exelon Corp., who remains on NEI’s board of directors and executive committee.
William D. Johnson, chairman, president and CEO of Progress Energy Inc., has been elected vice chairman of the board, succeeding Gates.
NEI also has elected eight new members and re-elected five members to its board of directors. Five new members were elected to the board’s executive committee, and three members were re-elected to the executive committee.
The newly elected members of NEI’s executive committee, which sets broad policy for the industry, are:
• Dr. Aris Candris, president and CEO, Westinghouse Electric Co.;
• David Christian, CEO, Dominion Generation;
• John Fuller, president and CEO of GE Hitachi Nuclear Energy;
• John Futcher, president, Bechtel Power Corp.; and
• John Young, president and CEO, Energy Future Holdings.
Re-elected to the executive committee are:
• Lewis Hay, chairman and CEO, FPL Group Inc.;
• William D. Johnson; and
• John Keenan, senior vice president and chief operating officer, Pacific Gas and Electric Co.
Newly elected to the NEI board of directors are:
• Mark H. Ayers, president, Building and Construction Trades Department, AFL-CIO;
• Frederick W. Buckman, president, Shaw Power Group;
• John Fuller;
• John Futcher;
• Edwin D. Hill, international president, International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers;
• Ganpat Mani, president and CEO, ConverDyn;
• Michael W. Rencheck, president and CEO of AREVA NP Inc.; and
• Kiyoshi Yamauchi, president and CEO, Mitsubishi Nuclear Energy Systems.
The re-elected board members are:
• William Hite, general president, United Association;
• Louis Pardi, president and CEO for power, URS - Washington Division;
• Ronald Pitts, senior vice president, nuclear, Fluor Enterprises;
• Kris Singh, president and CEO, Holtec International; and
• John Welch, president and CEO of USEC Inc.
Executives from all companies that hold licenses to operate nuclear power plants and selected representatives of other companies involved in commercial nuclear technologies are members of the NEI board of directors. Members of the board and its executive committee typically serve three-year terms, and officers are elected annually.
The following NEI officers were re-elected:
• Marvin S. Fertel, president and CEO;
• Alex Flint, senior vice president;
• Phyllis M. Rich, senior vice president and chief financial officer;
• Anthony R. Pietrangelo, senior vice president and chief nuclear officer;
• Alex Marion, Richard J. Myers, and J. Scott Peterson, vice presidents;
• Ellen C. Ginsberg, vice president and secretary; and
• Lisa I. Steward, assistant secretary.