WASHINGTON, D.C.—The Nuclear Energy Institute has elected William D. Johnson, chairman, president and chief executive officer of Progress Energy, as chairman of its board of directors. John F. Young, president and CEO of Energy Future Holdings, has been elected vice chairman of the board.
NEI also has elected seven new members and re-elected three members to its board of directors. One new member was elected to the board’s executive committee, joining two members who were re-elected. The elections took place today at a board of directors meeting following NEI’s annual conference.
The newly elected member of NEI’s executive committee, which sets broad policy for the industry, is:
• Clarence Ray, chief executive officer, Shaw Power Group.
Re-elected to the executive committee are:
• W. Gary Gates, president and CEO, Omaha Public Power District; and
• Thomas D. Kilgore, president and CEO, Tennessee Valley Authority.
Newly elected to the NEI board of directors are:
• Alasdair Cathcart, president, Bechtel Power Corp.;
• Tim Gitzel, president, Cameco Corp.;
• Greg Hempfling, senior vice president and general manager, Curtiss-Wright Flow Control Corp.;
• Raymond Juzaitis, Ph.D., department head and director, nuclear engineering division, Texas A&M University; • Michael McMahon, president, Day & Zimmerman ECM;
• Clarence Ray, chief executive officer, Shaw Power Group; and
• Caroline Reda, president and CEO, GE Hitachi Nuclear Energy.
The re-elected board members are:
• Aris Candris, president and CEO, Westinghouse Electric Co.;
• George Turner, president and CEO, American Nuclear Insurers; and
• Alan W. Wendorf, chairman and CEO, Sargent & Lundy, LLC.
Executives from all companies that hold licenses to operate nuclear power plants and selected representatives of other companies involved in commercial nuclear technologies are members of the NEI board of directors. Members of the board and its executive committee typically serve three-year terms, and officers are elected annually.
The following NEI officers were re-elected:
• Marvin S. Fertel, president and CEO;
• Anthony R. Pietrangelo, senior vice president and chief nuclear officer;
• Phyllis M. Rich, senior vice president, chief financial officer, and treasurer;
• Alex Flint and J. Scott Peterson, senior vice presidents;
• Alex Marion, Richard J. Myers and Douglas J. Walters, vice presidents;
• Ellen C. Ginsberg, vice president and secretary; and
• Lisa I. Steward, assistant secretary.